On August 18, 2021, Jersey City adopted the Structural and Facade Inspection Ordinance. This requires that any building that is more than six (6) stories in height have a structural inspection performed before December of 2022 and a facade inspection performed before December 2023; otherwise, the Jersey City Department of Buildings will begin issuing fines. Following the initial inspections, follow-up inspections must be performed every 10 years for structural integrity and every 5 years for their facades. Fortunately, Sullivan Engineering is a foremost expert in New York City’s facade inspection ordinance through the NYC DOB requirements known as FISP (Facade Inspection Safety Program), and is uniquely suited to help New Jersey building owners/managers through this process.
Jersey City is home to many high-rise buildings and these residents have expressed concern over the lack of mandated inspections of these buildings after construction is complete. It is important to adopt regulations requiring certain buildings to conduct, through a licensed professional, an inspection of the building’s structure every ten (10) years and the buildings facade every five (5) years.
- Structural Inspection: In order to maintain a building‘s structural integrity, the following requirements shall apply to all existing buildings or buildings constructed hereafter, which are concrete buildings more than six (6) stories in height. A visual structural inspection shall be conducted every ten (10) years by a licensed architect or engineer. This inspection must include, but is not limited to, an inspection of foundations, balconies, all structural members, and waterproofing. This inspection shall be in addition to any other building inspections required by law.
- Facade Inspection: In order to maintain a building‘s facade in a safe condition, the following requirements shall apply to all existing buildings or buildings constructed hereafter, which: (1) are more than six (6) stories in height, or (2) consist of a masonry facade and are four (4) stories or more in height.
- Structural Inspection: The initial inspections shall be completed by December 31, 2022. Thereafter, a structural inspection must be conducted every ten (10) years.
- Facade Inspection: The initia| inspection shall be completed by December 31, 2023. Thereafter, a facade inspection must be conducted every five (5) years.
- Structural Inspection: Structural inspections must be completed by December 31 of each year in which an inspection is mandated. Within thirty (30) days of the inspection, Property Owners must submit a written Structural Inspection Report, prepared by a licensed architect or engineer, to the Division of the Construction Code Official.
- Facade Inspection: Facade inspections must be completed by December 31 of each year in which an inspection is mandated. Within thirty (30) days of the inspection, Property Owners must submit a written Facade Inspection Report, prepared by a licensed architect or engineer, to the Division of the Construction Code Official.
CONSEQUENCES OF LATE OR INCOMPLETE FILINGS:
Any person or corporation convicted of violating any of the provisions of this Chapter shall be subject to the penalties set forth in 9 1-25.
PARTNER WITH A FIRM WHEN YOU’RE READY:
Sullivan Engineering, a Rimkus Company, recommends partnering with an architecture or engineering firm that specializes in exterior restoration services when you are ready to have your building inspected. A professional firm like Sullivan will know exactly what to look for and be able to identify conditions such as superficial cracks and deterioration. They will ensure that these conditions will not be mislabeled, and more importantly, that unsafe conditions posing threats to public safety will not go unnoticed and unreported.
At Sullivan, our purpose is to empower others to improve their quality of life. We support our clients by alleviating their workload, and allowing them to focus on other priorities, all while strictly adhering to our core values. While we continue to grow, our emphasis on providing quick turnarounds, practical solutions, and delivering a consistent, exceptional experience at every opportunity remains as important as ever.
To learn more about us and our core values and determine if we are the right partner for you, visit our About Us page.
When you are ready to discuss your facade inspection needs, please do not hesitate to contact us! CONTACT US