As of January 1, 2022, the New York City Department of Buildings Parking Structure Inspection requirements has gone into effect.
By this update, owners of parking structures must hire a New York State licensed and registered professional engineer (PE) to inspect the parking structure and file a condition assessment report with the Department at least once every six (6) years. The hired PE must meet the eligibility requirements for Qualified Parking Structure Inspectors (QPSI) as required by 1RCNY 101-07.
Property owners must repair unsafe or “SWARMP” (Safe with a Repair & Maintenance Program) conditions within 90 days of filing a condition assessment report. Once the work is finished, owners must file an amended report within two weeks.
STEPS TO COMPLIANCE:
- Identify if the parking structure meets the requirements for inspection
- A building or a portion of a building used for parking or storing motor vehicles, including space inside or under a building.
- Open parking garages and enclosed parking garages as specified in the NYC Building Code.
- Conduct Inspection
- The owner must hire a Qualified Parking Structure Inspector (QPSI) to conduct the inspection and determine the rating of the parking structure.
- File Report
- Within 60 days of completing the evaluation, the QPSI must provide to the Department a report that meets, at a minimum, the criteria outlined in 1 RCNY 103-13. Fees must be paid at the time of submission. (NYC DOB)
The first inspection cycle is anticipated to start January 1, 2022, and end December 31, 2023. Owners of parking structures located within Community Districts 1 through 7 in Manhattan will be required to have parking structures inspected and file the required report with DOB during this cycle.
More information about the inspection requirements, the proposed rules, and the process for filing reports will be available on DOB’s website in the near future.
At Sullivan, our purpose is to empower others to improve their quality of life. We support our clients by alleviating their workload and allowing them to focus on other priorities – all while strictly adhering to our core values. While we continue to grow, our emphasis on providing quick turnarounds, practical solutions, and delivering a consistent, exceptional experience at every opportunity remains as important as ever.
ABOUT SULLIVAN ENGINEERING, A RIMKUS COMPANY
Sullivan Engineering, a Rimkus Company, provides high-quality building envelope restoration and compliance solutions.
Sullivan Engineering, a Rimkus Company, partners with facility managers and account executives to provide technical expertise and project management for building envelope restoration, compliance, and maintenance.
Our solutions reduce the overall building life cycle maintenance costs by creating long-lasting, high-quality work for years to come.
To learn more, visit https://sullivanengineeringllc.com/.