It’s hard to believe that we are two months from the start of the new year, which brings to light the fact that the deadline for cycle 9B FISP reports is right around the corner. All buildings that qualify for the NYC Façade Inspection Safety Program, with a block number ending in 4, 5, 6, or 9, must file a report by February 21, 2023. Buildings must move forward with the inspections now in an attempt to file the reports by the February 21st deadline and to avoid significant penalties. In previous Local Law 11 cycles, three months was enough time to perform inspections. However, there are several variables that could impact the FISP report filing turnaround time in the 9th cycle, including:
- 2022 Holiday construction embargo that was just announced: The New York City Department of Transportation, regulates, limits, and often prohibits work from taking place in the “Holiday Construction Embargo” zones, unless for emergency or previously approved work. If your building falls within one of the attached zones, this might impact the mobilization of necessary equipment (e.g. suspended scaffold, telescopic boom lift, etc). To learn if your building will be affected or is located in a construction embargo zone, you can visit the DOB website.
- Filing CD5 Permits to mobilize equipment, such as boom lifts and SPRAT rope access, takes three to five weeks.
- Probes must be performed on all cavity wall buildings. Ordering replacement bricks and mortar could delay the inspection process.
- Increased field inspection time: Physical examinations from scaffolding or other observation platforms (“close-up inspections”) must be performed every sixty feet above a public right of way.
- Qualified Contractors are pushing to complete existing projects before the winter season. Their availability to mobilize and assist with inspections could be delayed.
If you have any questions regarding the FISP process, your building’s specific compliance requirements, or if you would like to consider retaining Sullivan Engineering, A Rimkus Company to perform your inspection, please feel free to contact us through our website or at firstname.lastname@example.org.